Read San Antonio Sports' President and CEO Russ Bookbinder's Op-Ed in the San Antonio Express-News.
Spurs Youth Basketball League (formerly the Drug-Free League) is a socially-themed recreational basketball program in San Antonio and South Texas. The league's messages, "Positive choices" and "Respect for all" encompass being drug, alcohol and tobacco free and so much more. Kids today are faced with difficult choices at every turn and they need help making the positive choice. League registrations typically begin in November or early December with games starting in mid January.
If you are a parent who would like to register your child to play in the league, please contact one of the affiliated Updated SYBL groups for 2014-2015 season. These associations/groups are responsible for operating their leagues including registering players, recruiting coaches, determining playing sites and scheduling games. Player registration fees vary with each group.
Requirements of the League: To be an affiliate of the Spurs Youth Basketball League, associations/agencies must commit to the following league requirements:
- All coaches and administrators must attend annual training on how to work with children in a sports environment.
- Players and coaches must recite the pledge aloud on the court prior to the start of every game.
- Coaches must talk to their team members a minimum of five minutes each week on making positive choices. Coaches use a specially designed handbook that contains eight weeks of easy-to-use lesson plans for them to follow.
- Coaches and other adults directly working with participants must consent to and pass a criminal background check.
- Rules may vary by organization but most organizations follow these guidelines.
Funding of the SYBL - The Spurs Youth Basketball League is funded by the public charity Silver and Black Give Back, with financial support from Pizza Hut. San Antonio Sports administers the league on behalf of the Spurs and acts as the liaison with the participating SYBL groups. Silver and Black Give Back funds player and coach jerseys, background checks, banners and a variety of other materials. Participating agencies are responsible for securing gym space, registering players, recruiting coaches, scheduling games and practices and organize and operate their group's program.
History of the SYBL - The league (formerly called the Spurs Drug-Free League) was founded in 1991 by KSN Founder, Frank Martin and Spurs Coach, Gregg Popovich as a way of promoting recreational youth basketball in economically disadvantaged areas of San Antonio. In February 1992 the league received a Point of Light from President Bush for its innovative programming and anti-drug efforts. In the mid 1990's the league began an expansion to other South Texas communities. Today the SYBL annually includes over 15,000 participants playing games throughout South Texas.
For more information about the Spurs Youth Basketball league call 210-820-2126.